Search This Blog

Monday, January 9, 2012

Scam Email: Curtis Thompson

Here is an email I received from an artist:

Hi, Kathleen - I have recently received a few emails that seem suspicious. Thanks for your very informative web site! At this point, the character has my address to send the payment, but that's as far as it's gotten. I told him that I wouldn't release the artwork until his payment cleared. If he sends more than the exact amount, I'll refuse or return it - and if he sends the exact amount, I'll see if my bank can verify it.

The name is Curtis Thompson and I'll forward the first email to you. If you want the rest, let me know.

Janice

First Email:
From: Curtis Thompson [sunoco010@gmail.com]
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 22:30:42 +0100
Subject: Father's Day
--
Hello,
Good day to you over there, My name is Curtis Thompson I'm from New York and i hope this message finds you well.I was going through your works and my eyes caught Father's Day, I am moving soon and i will like to have it for my new apartment.

please let me know if the piece is available, if yes let me have the detailed price and more information about it. i will be waiting to read from you asap.
Curtis.
Second Email:
From: Curtis Thompson [sunoco010@gmail.com]
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 06:49:10 +0100
Subject: Thanks

Hi,

Good to hear back from you. Yes,i will like to proceed with the purchase of the paintings. I think its a lovely work and i hope to give it a good home.

I am presently away in UK representing my company for an EU economic summit and i should be back in few days.

Meanwhile,i will like you to forward your mailing address and phone number so i can inform my personal assistant on where to forward the payment . I can also forward your contact info to the local cartage company that is handling my move so they can get in touch with you to arrange shipping details. They can arrange  FedEx pick up of the artworks from your studio.

I will look forward to hearing from you so i can know how best to proceed. Cheers.

Best Regards,
Curtis.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Kathleen,

    I think this is someone to be added to your great list of scammers. Thank your for that list, it’s been helpful to me in the past.

    Best




    Begin forwarded message:

    > From: Mark Thompson [tmark7881@gmail.com]
    > Date: April 27, 2018 at 2:59:52 AM EDT
    > To:
    > Subject: Artwork Inquiry
    >
    >
    > My name is Mark Thompson from Jacksonvile, Florida. The images on your website are so fascinating and so vivacious,looking at each piece of work i can easily see that you added so much dedication in making each work come out to life, unfortunately i lost the website where i first saw your work but i was able to save your email address. I will like to purchase some of your work for my wife as a surprise gift for our 20th anniversary. Please kindly send pics and prices of some of your art which are ready for immediate sale within price range $500- $5,000, I could be flexible with price. I am writing you because i need your assistant to get back to your website so as to be able to retrieve the details of your work that interest me or send me images of some of your new works with price.
    > Best Regards,

    ReplyDelete