Search This Blog

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Scam Email: Steve Padilla

Hi Kathleen,

I am very appreciative of what you have done with all of this. Because of your blog and website info, I have avoided being scammed here. It is sick isn't it!? Incredible that these people would pick artists to go after, though we are the most powerful type :) Thank you so very much.

Here is the e-mail and name and address of this one:

Name: Steve Padilla
E-mail: stevepadi01@yahoo.com

Steve Padilla [stevepadi01@yahoo.com] wrote:
Good day, hope you are good. Was going through your website and saw some of your artwork I really like. You are doing a great job. I would like to make
the purchase of the artwork in subject field above if it is still available..i would also like to know what inspired you to paint the artwork. kindly get back to me asap.
Thanks and God bless,
Steve.
 I responded to his e-mail above and gave him pricing etc....And I get this:
Dear Sean,

Thanks for the message, Hope  you are doing  great. i must tell you i am very much interested in the immediate purchase.

Unfortunately,  i am on voyage to France at the moment as i am a civil marine engineer and due to the nature of my work, visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it :-). I wont be back for another couple of weeks, I would have come to purchase the piece personally.

I'm okay with the price $4500, I think it worth it anyway. If you'd like to know, I'm relocating to the Philippines soon and I'm trying to gather some good stuff for my new abode. I am buying yours (quickly! before someone else grabs it) So, I'll arrange to send you payment ASAP.

6 comments:

  1. Hello Katie,

    I can't thank you enough for the information you posted on your website about the "Steve Padilla" scam. It's a pretty good scam, since I have sold things sight-unseen from my website. I was suspicious of the e-mail as anytime someone won't give a fixed address right off, I get concerned. I was unsure how to proceed--even thinking of having cops around as I made the transaction. Anyway, trying not to be gullible, I did a search for "steve padilla, marine civil engineer" and was directed to your site and VOILA! there was the EXACT letter I received! You are a life saver! I will send this letter and your site to all of my artist contacts.

    By the by, I really like your seascapes with the cows.

    May your 2013 bring you happiness and prosperity.

    Best,
    Curtis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is the email I sent to my artist contacts:

    Dear Artists,
     
    I received this offer to purchase work from my website. Fortunately, I was suspicious and did a web search and found a posting by a saint named Kathleen McMahon who is up on scams against artists. I found his exact letters (see below). Please beware. It's a pretty good scam as I have had honest people purchase work from my site before.
     
    I'm not a violent person, but if I ever find this guy that will definitely change! I actually am going to call the FBI.
     
    Happy 2013!
     
    Curtis

    FIRST E-MAIL:
     
    Good day, hope you are good. Was going through your website and saw some of your artwork I really like. You are doing a great job. I would like to make the purchase of the artwork in subject field above if it is still available..i would also like to know what inspired the artwork. kindly get back to me asap.
    Thanks and God bless,
    Steve.
     
    FOLLOW UP E-MAIL:
     
    Dear Curtis,
    Thanks for the message, Hope you are doing great. I must tell you I am very much interested in the immediate purchase.
     
    Unfortunately,  I am on voyage to France at the moment as I am a civil marine engineer and due to the nature of my work, visiting of website are restricted, but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it:-). I wont be back for another couple of weeks, I would have come to purchase the piece personally.
     
    I'm okay with the price $2000, I think it worth it anyway. If you'd like to know, I'm relocating to the Philippines soon and I'm trying to gather some good stuff for my new abode. I am buying yours (quickly before someone else grabs it) So, I'll arrange to send you payment ASAP.
     
    However, you don't have to worry about shipment, my shipper will handle it.I'll notify my shipper who's helping me move my stuff to get set for the pickup of the piece from your place as I MIGHT be delayed depending on how things goes.
    Thanks,
    Steve.
     
    PS: In the mean time, you could forward me your full name (you want the check payable to) cell phone no. and contact address so I can mail out a check to you ASAP

    ReplyDelete
  3. This guy is using another email Matthew Lankowski01@yahoo.com except when I searched his name I actually came up with several social media sites, that have him down as a civil marine engineer, so I got really excited. But the email copies this one from Curtis word for word, which kinda of depresses me. anyway thanks for the site

    ReplyDelete
  4. I received this same email today 5/1/13 and the guy is using the name Tyler Stewart.

    Here is the email I received, identical to the others.

    Good day, hope you are good. Was going through your website and saw some of your artwork I really like. You are doing a great job. I would like to make the purchase of the artwork in subject field above if it is still available..i would also like to know what inspired the artwork. kindly get back to me asap. Thanks and God bless,
    Tyler.

    Guessing who ever is running this scam is using several different emails.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just received the exact same email.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have received same E mail with long made up reason why he cannot give out his information.he uses the name Steve..I plan on reporting him to the FBI.

    I created a website dedicated to my grandfather's art and it is more than deceitful to have some crook troll the internet to steal both money and artwork.

    ReplyDelete