Search This Blog

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Scam Email: Paul Newman

The use of a famous name like Paul Newman doesn't make this any less of a scam.
Kathleen, Thank you for your post about scammers trying to buy artwork. I have received an email before from someone saying that they were in the process of moving from California to Africa and listed several piece of art work that they wanted to purchase. The way it was worded from the beginning made me question it. However, recently got another email that I think should be added to your list.

[mailto:paulnewman946@gmail.com]  "do you still have this artwork for sale? (a specific piece was mentioned). I responded, "Hi Paul. I do still have this piece. Feel free to give me a call. (Telephone number included). Thank you for your interest in my work. Laura.

He responded, "Thanks for the message, I am very happy to know that the item is available for sale. i must tell you that my wife  browse through the net and saw your artwork (  Title of Artwork 24" x 36" Acrylic on Canvas $300) now, and we are very much interested in the immediate purchase because we need it for our new apartment,we will like to  buy it before someone else requested for it, and I know this is worth more than the price, So i agree your selling offer I agree that After payment clears, Then shipping agent will do the pick up of it and collection at your location. I will be paying through a Certified Bank Check so once you have it clear and you have your funds at hand the shipping agent will be coming to pick it up. Here is the information needed, Kindly Text me Your,
Full Name:
Home Address
Cell phone number
total cost
kindly get back to me So that i can proceed with the payment arrangement and relay it to you, consider it sold and get back to me with the details of yours in which the Check  will be written,i await your quick response...

Thanks & Regards
 
So I responded, "give your full name and address. So I can calcuate shipping)

They responded, "Kindly text me your...." (Above information)

I wish I had come across your blog the first day that I tried researching this!!!!

6 comments:

  1. I hadn't been "taken in" for even a moment, but I Googled the phone number this scammer provided, and therefore found your blog, having received the following email:

    Greetings!
    My name is Steve Carson from South Carolina. I must tell you I plan on purchasing several gifts to surprise my wife for our 20th anniversary. so I guess you will be hearing from me lots more. How I found your website: I actually observed my wife has been viewing your website on my laptop and i guess she likes your piece of work, I'm also impressed and amazed to have seen your various works too, : ) You are doing a great job.

    Please I would greatly appreciate if you could possibly recommend a few completed piece within my budget $5000 (I can be flexible with price though) ready for immediate sale. If you want to talk to me over the phone, please feel free to call me (323) 374-5218, although not sure how phone reception will be as am on training voyage (offshore the North Atlantic Ocean) to Russia with new hires who are fresh from graduate school and won't be back for another couple of weeks. I would have come to purchase the piece myself, but email is totally fine too.

    Thanks and best regards,

    Steve.
    Steve Carson

    ReplyDelete

  2. He mailed my print shop asking for prints... very suspicious
    Then he says his name is tom 6105644083

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the process of discovering an attempted scam right now. Sounds like this:
    ,, I think it is a lovely work and I hope to give it a good home. I am presently away on vacation but I should be back in few days
    Meanwhile, can you please get back with the price of the item,and size available,with your mailing address and phone number so I can inform my husband on where to forward the via cashiers check, I can have him send the payment asap. About shipping, you can handle it from your side to our new vacation home here is our address below, or I can forward your contact info to the local cartage company handling my shipment. They can arrange
    FedEx or UPS pick up of the artwork from your studio. I will look forward to hearing from you so I can know how best to
    proceed.

    27 N Pass Rd,
    East Hampton, NY 11937

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really glad that you share this important information with us, it’s really important that we share this type of scams info publicly and because of this everyone aware of these scams and fraudsters. Problem is everybody wants to make money in an easy way and that is the biggest reason to fall for these scams and the senior citizens are the best and easy target for these scammers. These scammers wants only and only your money because this is one of the easiest way to make money. You work your whole life and make money by doing lots of hard work and sacrifices and they just took all of it within one night and banished.

    There is only one way to secure yourself that never share your account or important document info with a stranger and don’t fall for fake and unbelievable schemes.

    Be aware.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This scam has resurfaced. I received it last week. Glad to see the warnings. My letter was almost exactly the same as posted in August 2015. Be cautious and always diligent to the possibilities of scams.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This address (27 N Pass Rd) is still being used in phishing schemes to defraud artists.

    ReplyDelete